Monday, November 17, 2014

A Day Care! After all this...

I finally had to let go of my baby's long term nanny about 10 days back (for atleast a month I guess). I went to the day care and paid them before I could change my mind again.

I was fed up of her uninformed absenteeism, and that too for 10 days at a stretch sometimes. For the past 6 months she had only worked for about 15 days per month, which is not right if she is supposed to be a daily babysitter. I could manage so far cause I have my aunt staying with me (for better or for worse), but the delays in her in-time, going earlier than her out-time, no pre-intimation before leaves, etc., was getting on my nerves.

She was a caring babysitter though. She looked after Arya since he was 6 months of age and was very caring about him, fed him well, did other house work that was out of her normal JD. So, well it was a tough choice. Now I have to manage the baby stuff as well has the entire chores in the house. Although technically I won't DO everything, I still have to make sure they get done. And that's a whole lot stressful than doing them yourself.

I have put Arya is a nice day-care facility nearby. They have lots of fun stuff to play with and Arya will get kids his age to play. There is a beautiful arrangement for sleeping and they give variety of food to the kids. I saw the hygiene in kitchen and around, and it was good. I even spoke to the cook and she seemed a homely and caring lady. Day care stays in touch with me too.

So now he has to go to daycare post his schooling hours. It broke my heart to think that my baby will be staying for a larger chunk of his day outside of his home. When I was in school, I used to imagine my favorite corner in my home and think of getting there as soon as possible. It is the same with me now. I know Arya will want to go home after his normal school hours. I feel so sorry for him. It is not fair.

On his first day of the daycare, I made the preparations and talked to him about them. But at around 12 pm I came to know on calls that he was crying a lot, not eating food, and didn't want to stay there. I cried in office too and couldn't eat lunch. Stressful time for me and Arya...(for Y it was just another routine day)

A few days have passed now, and he is still not okay with the day care. I still feel sad for him and wonder why we want kids when we can't take care of them ourselves. There's a small change however. Arya tells me these days what variety of food there was in the daycare, the different types of games they play there, and the sleeping arrangements there, or what his didi said to him. He enjoys a tiny bit of the day and keeps waiting for my aunt to take him back home.

The babysitter has apologized, and I may or may not give her another chance, but I do have an option now. I don't know if I did the right thing, and I hope things work out somehow.

1 comment:

  1. Soon, he will start enjoying it. It takes time to settle in, its a new environment for him. And don't be so harsh on yourself.

    ReplyDelete