Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Help for the street kids

I pass by University Chowk flyover each day in my car on the way home. There are some families how live under the flyover with their kids, and little ones.

Yesterday amidst the usual traffic jam there, I saw a touching sight. I saw a young couple surrounded by their few belongings, talking about something animatedly. There was a lean young man sitting a few feet away from them with a baby, about 1 year old, on his lap. The baby was wearing a shirt with a few buttons missing. The man was feeding the baby mixed dal-rice from a plastic bag. Some grains were falling over as the baby was distracted by all those cars stuck in traffic just a few feet away. I was touched looking at the scene. Where did the dad get the mixed dal-rice from? Was it sufficient for the baby and the dad both? Wasn't it too cold for the baby to be clothed so minimally?

There are many such families under that bridge alone. What have the kids done to deserve a life so cruel? Just because they were born in a poor family?! Does that mean they do not deserve to be kept warm? Fed right? Vaccinated? Educated so that they get an equal chance in our world too? Can they? Because I'm sure that there would be at least a few brilliant kids there, who would never see a school.

As much as we educated people think otherwise, these people don't get the same opportunities. We try to pacify our minds by saying that government is doing a lot for the poor, that poor don't want to take pains to educate themselves, they don't want to develop new skills, but is that true? Do these street kids know what schemes there are? Where they are? Whether they are eligible? Do their parents know the importance of such welfare schemes? Does someone convince the parents to take advantage of such schemes?
I do not think so.

Some people I know cannot even take advantage of the RTE act by the government where schools are supposed to reserve a certain percentage of their seats for underprivileged students. Schools don't want to do it because they can't get full aid for these kids from the government. Parents of well-to-do kids do not want their kids to mingle with underprivileged kids. School teachers see lifestyle parity within such students and are not able to teach the class fairly! I read some time back that there were ridiculous issues like going to a picnic in such schools where poorer kids cannot afford to go and it creates a problem for the school. Other issues include fancy stationary and study material! Lots of schools in Pune itself do not want to implement RTE act at all!

The most critical thing is the eligibility. Parents have to have certain certificates to prove they are residents in the area to send their kids to schools. Many such people (even those staying in the area for years) do not have these certificates, so it is a futile case for people who are homeless or are migrant labourers.

I thank my luck each day, 'cause my parents were able to afford my education and help me stand on my feet. But it shouldn't mean that I look away from needy people. Looking away doesn't make them go away. Looking away wouldn't make me feel better. Insensitivity is not a great talent to be acquired or developed.

I am going to extend my help to these kids in some way. I know that just 'Pity' won't help them, but I could. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment