Wednesday, September 11, 2013

It’s school time for Arya - 1

(This is an article I wanted to write in July but have written and posted it now.)

Preface – Expect the unexpected.

I was in the middle of my busy work day when I got an SMS from Arya’s would-be play-school, and quite unexpectedly, I felt a slight twinge in my heart. What? So soon??!!!
I was aware that the school would send some communication to parents few days before it starts. The message was to inform parents about an orientation meeting and its date. Parents would get to know the teachers, get the allotted school bags for kids, have their kids measured for uniforms, etc.

I have spent most of the last month telling Arya - ‘Sonu, ata school aahe pudhcha mahinya pasun. Tu janal na?’ (He had no idea but replied.) ‘Haaa’
Yet I felt a little sad when I got the SMS. It was because now my baby who would stay home for the whole day playing around had grown up just a tiny bit. He would be leaving home for few hours and not be around us. I curtailed this emotion with thoughts like - it is just playschool, it is only for a few hours, and I didn’t even need to send him there every day!

I attended the orientation meeting with Arya, wondering how he would take it, cause he hadn’t been away from home without one of us around. When we entered the compound, we saw some bikes for kids. Arya sat on a green one that was the most attractive. Since then I didn’t have to bother looking at him for the rest of my time there!
He didn’t come upstairs with me to the meeting. Other teachers kept an eye on kids playing in the compound. I was proved wrong. He didn’t mind being around other kids if there are enough bikes around. The meeting lasted for 1.5 hour and I was worried - What if he falls? What if someone pushes him? What if he wants me and couldn’t find me? I came down to see Arya happily playing on the same bike! He didn’t even want us to go back home… I had to drag him out!
 


















To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment