Monday, September 23, 2013

Silly Superstitions

I am superstitious. At least at my convenience. Here’s a new belief that I have cultivated over this weekend.

“Whenever I make some delicious recipe that is just out of a glossy booklet or from online, I and my husband have a huge fight”. The fight need not be over the food. It could be anything.

The first time this happened, I had made some potato cheese balls at home which were absolutely amazing. After a lot of hard work, when I finally put these to the table, my husband wouldn’t taste it. I think he was angry over the guests in my house who were gossiping. Nevertheless, it made my efforts seem irrelevant. And the rest was history.

The second time, he had to suddenly go to the office when I was in the middle of preparing ‘Microwave Roasted Stuffed Capsicum’ for lunch. It turned to be delicious. Arya and I loved it. But my husband came home at 9 pm and we fought even before he saw the food. The whole food had anyway become so cold by dinner time that I lost all interest in serving it. He was too tired or angry to even comment about it.

Another such superstition that I have is about carrying non-veg food in my car. When I was a learner, I drove my car for many months carefully and there was no incidence of damage to external or internal life and property. There were just few minor scratches. However there was this once when I made fried fish for my entire team. I was carrying it in a container to office, when a car slammed on to my car from the rear. For no fault of mine. Literally. I was stationary at the time of the accident. I hope this was just a one-off thing and doesn’t repeat itself, because I know I will have to carry non-veg food someday in my car.

But wait, was this again because of some food item that I made? Should I stay away from making dishes that could win me compliments? I did receive lot of compliments for the fish. Thinking…

Additionally, there are a lot of secret superstitions that I have involving some small and big things, to bring good luck. (I cannot discuss them, because I believe talking about them would jinx them.) Even though I want to be perceived as a practical and a logical person, I don't want to put these beliefs to test.

Why take a chance? Right?

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:37 PM

    Hmmmm .....

    There are many like this with everyone. I too have them, but now count of such Superstitions getting reduced. One such, I hardly have hair on my head (wont call myself bald !!!) and I never need to comb (except my barber does it as a job) but still I used to carry a comb without fail even while going out for shortest span of time e.g. short visit to local store down the floor.........

    Well, I am posting as Anonymous, and you surprised to know who am I ... coz you are expecting lots of comments against your Superstitions but there are many with everyone..... some are small, silly or some are big and easily visible.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha
    Kavita you bet this happend with all of us. A friend of mine says whenever she prints her visiting card, her husband get transfered to another city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Madhurie Singh: I'm truly flattered that you've read my blog!
    The visiting card story is a good anecdote, but must be tried and tested. She might want to go on without visiting cards for a while!

    ReplyDelete