Thursday, September 19, 2013

Ganesh Festival and the Nostalgia!

I love festivities, especially the ones that go on for a longer time like Ganesh festival, Navratris, Diwali, Christmas and even Ramadan. It feels like the whole city gets charged up - lively, and bright.

Ganesh festival came with the usual fervour this time too. There were huge stalls and pandals selling Ganesh idols in various colours, designs and sizes. E.g. Ganesh sitting on his parent’s lap, Ganesh studying for IIT, Ganesh dancing on Kalia naag and more. There were lines and lines of shops selling decorative items like paper mandirs (called Makhars in Marathi), lighting strings, buntings, small LED lights and such, so that you can get your Ganesh home to a beautifully decorated place. There were shops selling puja items too. Above all, there was always a crowd of people before every shop and stall selecting their Ganpati, choosing the right decorations, buying last minute puja items. A walk on the street didn’t seem like a hectic task but a pleasure.

Being a true Punekar, I love Dhol-Tasha too. Even before the festival begins, lots of groups practice these drums in schools and playgrounds. If you stand close to the drum beats, you experience heavy thudding in your heart with every beat. You begin to anticipate and also know correctly when the next Tasha or Dhol will strike. I enjoy this feeling.

People brought their Bappa home, covered in a white cloth, while shouting ‘Ganpati bappa morya’! Small kids were running in circles around the person carrying the idol.

When I was a kid, my friend and neighbour Seema would bring Ganpati at home. I and my sisters would try to help out with decorations if needed (so many kids create more nuisance than help.) I got to learn so many Aarti’s by attending the morning and evening prayers during those 10 days for about 15 years. I can still remember her mom singing Aarti’s, while I and Seema read them out from a booklet. The Prasad was always delicious, and my mom would sometimes sponsor it too.

After I got married, I attended Ganpati celebrations each year at my friend Aarti’s place, who was also my neighbour. She involved me in decorations, getting the Ganpati home, help in making Prasad (rarely), singing Aarti’s, immersion processions, etc. Yogesh and I even led a prayer at their home once.

This year, I was missing Ganpati celebration a lot as I had shifted to my new house across the city. I couldn’t go to Aarti tai’s place, and really wanted to give Prasad to God, but didn’t know how. I wanted Arya to see the puja and decorations too.

We took Arya to see Ganpati pandals in our locality. We saw immersions happening on the 7th day at a river nearby, the people dancing, drums, etc.

I began missing the childhood and past days even more. It was the 9th day… just 1 more day to go.

That was when I got a call from another friend – Sarita. She had a Satya-Narayan puja at her home, and a Ganpati that they would immerse in the afternoon. The best thing was that I was invited for the Puja! And she even called us for lunch.

We went to her place yesterday morning. The Ganpati idol, lighting and decoration were simply amazing. I could do the puja and give Prasad to God. Arya could see the Bappa at home. The lunch was delicious – a menu of puran-poli, amti, bhajji, papad, chapati, varan bhaat! Yogesh, me and Arya ate till we were stuffed. We enjoyed every moment!

Somehow Ganpati knew my small wish and fulfilled it through my friend. This year I realised that more than my fascination for the festival, I felt the need to be there.

Ganpati bappa morya!

I spent the evening watching the immersion procession and dhol-tasha performances on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment