Monday, June 30, 2014

Pretences

Do you know how much we pretend? How much we want to imprint an image of ourselves in other people’s minds?

I realised this when I observed people behaviour. When a guy sits in a fancy car and goes slowly by you. He gives you such a smug look and goes ahead, waiting for you to notice the car, and notice him in it.

When a person involuntarily removes her fancy phone from her pocket in the middle of a crowded bus for no reason, fidgets with it and keeps it back. She does this numerous times, probably unknowingly.

We want to show off that we read this, cooked this, ate this, went someplace out of the world, did this and did that!

Even in our everyday conversations if we know something and if a person who is talking to us or in our group says something smart, don’t we want to give out all the gyan we have? We want to show that we too know that. It is so difficult to stay silent and let that guy/girl take all the limelight! I know because I have tried it, to keep my mouth shut when I know something, and let other people discuss it.  

Every day we step out of our homes looking spic and span at the expense of time to reach office. We can always overtake a few cars on the road right? At least I have stopped doing that after Arya’s birth. I don’t even comb my washed hair until I reach office. (We have in-time for office). We don’t want people to think that we look shabby, but seriously who cares, until you do your job well. (Of course that doesn’t mean you land up in office looking like a lost grizzly bear.)

I used to get disappointed when Arya refuses to show what he knows/learnt to visitors. Now I admit to people that he won’t say/do stuff. Secretly, I wish he would.

Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and other social networking have brought on more pretence amongst us. We try to pretend that we are so intelligent, smart, good looking, happy, that we have great relationships with spouse and friends, that we have smart and handsome children. The list goes on.

I am not saying pretending is wrong. Humans are social animals and some level of pretence is needed for daily responsibilities. We need some feedback and brownie points to also be motivated in life. But is it really important to go overboard with this. Is it important to sacrifice time, money and effort over it?

What if I don’t waste too much time cleaning the house for visitors, and spend time with my family instead.

What if I don’t wear average clothes and makeup to office every day?

What if I don’t care if other people are looking at me and gaping when I am driving the car? (Actually people don’t just look at you to admire your car/you driving it; they also want to ogle at you, or want to mock female drivers in general)

There might be so many such unnecessary things that I might be doing. Need to find out and stop it.

Lesser miseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment