Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Pesky and Pampered Traveller

I love to travel when conditions are favorable. I mean I am a little pampered and sensitive, but still, I love to travel when I don’t have to bear physical stress. Mostly I have found people around me who are caring. Yes, whenever I travel, the person next to me is always caring towards me. Good things happen to good people I suppose.

Travel with Mom:

I always sat next to mom while travelling. I always had a shoulder to lean on, ask for stuff I wanted, etc. Thanks to my height, I could even lie down on the bus seat with my legs folded, when I put my head on her lap.

Travel with Kanchan:

At one time, I had to travel with Kanchan to our friend’s wedding. It was a sudden fix, and we had to rush almost in the middle of the night to Sangamner, Akola, about 14 hours journey by some jeep. We couldn’t miss it. Luckily Kanchan sat next to me. But there was a catch. I love to sit silent looking out of the window. And she can be uncontrollably talkative. A simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ is not an answer for her. You have to answer in detail. Yes, she gave me the window seat all the way to and fro! See, I don’t forget a good deed. Oh, I digress. We enjoyed the wedding, and for me the travel was bearable thanks to her. I also remember that we had taken only a single set of our ‘new dresses’ for the wedding and saw that the whole crowd changed clothes every couple of hours! We were embarrassed but couldn’t do anything.

Travel with college friends:

This is going to be nostalgic. I remember the college Alibag trip that my group had set up. I didn’t want to go and jumped in at the idea at the last moment when my friends sent someone’s dad to pick me up! Again I just got up from bed and went off. Kanchan, Nivedita, Seema and all our friends…we enjoyed a lot. Yes, I had to talk and answer questions in detail.

Travel with Kanchan's friend:

 I even recollect one occasion when I had to go to Andheri for an interview for MBA summers, and Kanchan’s classmate ‘R’ was travelling with me. She had told him to take care of me! And R made sure I got the window, and helped me with the luggage, etc. R told me that he was asked to do it!

 Travel with Asmita:

There was once when me and my younger sister – Asmita went for a Harihareshwar, Shrivardhan trip with dad’s friend from office. He was taking his tuition class students on a group trip. We joined. This time Asmita gave me the window seat at least for a major length of time. She acted the older sister part and I could sleep on her lap. The trip lasted for 2 nights and 3 days. We both couldn’t gel up in the group and we missed mom so much. We called up mom and talked at lengths. Dads friend tried to include us in the group but it didn’t help much. Asmita and me talked about all the students and how they behaved.


At Harihareshwar, we couldn’t find any hotel room to sleep – I suppose all were booked. It was dead cold winter and we were shivering. We got shelter at a person’s backyard. Some students made amazing dinner outside and we ate. Asmita and me found a cows shed, filled with hay, cowdung, and of course cows and bullocks. We got in a corner and made some place to sit. I laid my head on her lap for some time. It was warm and cozy and we slept in no time. After sometime, we both got up with a tap on our shoulders. Sir had come to wake us up. We saw that the cow’s mouth was so close to us, eating the hay from near us. It was amazing. Sir said to me that Asmita seems to be your elder sister since she is so caring!

Travel with Yogesh: 

And after that naturally it was Yogesh. Right from our honeymoon trip in Kerala, where I could lean on his shoulder and sleep for hours in the bus, to sleeping on the platform with my head in his lap while waiting for the train, Yogesh has always been there. I have always enjoyed the window seat when I am with him, plus he is extremely caring and concerned when it comes to food we eat while traveling.

I have had migraines on many of our trips and he makes sure I enjoy even then. I remember clicking many photos on or Kerala trip. We had made the bus stop at many scenic places to do just that. Other couples in the bus were sort of irritated by this but we couldn’t let go of it. One such place was the tea gardens at Munnar. Everyone was reluctant to get down from the bus but eventually everyone did, and those photos are still the most memorable!

Travel with Arya:

Today situation is a little different. I travel with my baby and I have to be the caring person for him. In our Konkan trip, he slept on my lap for hours on end, numbing my legs. He stood near the window and shouted out. I had to hold him all the way. I feed him in the moving bus and made sure he was comfortable. Yogesh still looks out for me. But I’m the one for Arya. It has made me more thankful for the caring I get these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment